ARC Children’s Choir focuses on developing vocal talent and musicality. We provide:
- Vocal techniques
- Music reading
- Sight singing
- Part singing and harmony
- On-line resources including practice tracks.
- Confidence and skill development in a fun and supportive learning environment.
To improve sight singing, we use the Mark O’Leary Sight Singing School program books. Students can also practice online at www.sightsingingschool.com
In 2016, we also incorporated the new Australian Music Examinations Board (AMEB) new Musical Theatre syllabus in our choir program, including technical work and required songs. Selected choir members have the opportunity to undertake AMEB Musical Theatre exams. Additional small group rehearsals are scheduled to assist in preparation for exams. In 2023 we will again be running preparation for the AMEB Musical Theatre Repertoire exams.
AMEB’s first dedicated Musical Theatre syllabus is designed to support a well-rounded musical theatre education from beginner to pre-professional levels.
Rehearsals for the ARC Children’s and Youth Choir are held at the Bridge- Preston (Formerly known as Preston Neighbourhood House) 218 High St Preston.
In 2023 ARC is running 3 tiered sessions each Wednesday afternoon during school terms.
- Junior /Children’s Choir ( Aged 7-12) 4.15pm to 5.00pm
- Intermediate Youth Choir ( Jnr High School) 4.45-5.30pm
- Senior Youth Choir (Senior High School) -5.15-6.15pm
COVID Safe Plan for Rehearsals.
ARC maintains an up to date COVID safe plan for our return to singing in 2023.
- Optional planned outdoor rehearsals during warmer weather (Shade Cloth covered court yard at the Bridge Preston).
- Air Purifiers in place in each indoor rehearsal space.
- Masks used indoors as recommended by government during periods of increased risk.
- Recommended that all children and young people are vaccinated including booster when eligible.
- All rehearsals will be accessible on Zoom. Joining a rehearsal on-line via zoom will be available to any children or young people who are unwell or need to isolate at home.
ARC Children’s Youth Choirs perform in a range of community events. This has included the Darebin Carols in All Nations, Darebin Citizenship Ceremonies, ARC 20th Anniversary Concert at Banyule Theatre, CHoral@Montsalvat, Darebin FUSE events, and Christmas performances, Booroondara Eisteddfod and Northern Choral FEST.
Performance dates for 2023 include:
- ARC Winter Concert – Saturday 3rd June
- ARC Children’s & Youth Choir participating in the Boroondara Eisteddfod – Wednesday 14th June
- Northern Choir Fest – Darebin Arts & Entertainment Centre Sunday 10th September 2023
- Christmas performances in Term 4
ARC is a not for profit community arts organisation. This program aims to provide an affordable and high quality choral program for children. To minimise costs, we fundraise throughout the year. However, to meet the operational costs of choir, choir fees must be paid each term.
There is an Annual Membership/Joining fee to ARC (Valid for 12 months). All Children’s Choir participants become associate members of ARC. The annual membership fee is $50.
In 2022 Choir fees will be based on a set fee per rehearsal dependant on group $12/$15 per rehearsal. These are invoiced on a term basis.
For further information on fees please refer to our Information for Parents page
On line learning resources
ARC Children’s & Youth Choir Choir has on-line resources in the members section of our website. This includes MP3 learning files, practice tracks and recordings.